Independent Study and Research

All International Studies students are encouraged to complete a portion of their studies through independent course or research work.  The student must identify an area of interest, develop a plan for the project, and find a faculty member willing to supervise the project.  All require individual enrollment, the permission of the sponsoring faculty, and the permission of the program or department chair.

Students planning to undertake independent research are encouraged to consult with their faculty supervisor about applying for competitive research grants set aside for undergraduates.  There are three grants that may be applied for: Academic Year Research Award (AYRA), Summer Undergraduate Research with Faculty grants (SURF), and Research Travel Grants (RTG).  Please consult the Undergraduate Research webpage for more information.